Wikipedia Reference Information
Nitshill is a suburb on the south side of Glasgow. It was originally a coal mining village; the Nitshill Colliery was the scene of one of Scotland's worst mining disasters—on March 15, 1851 in which 61 men and boys died.
The village fell within the county of Renfrewshire until about the 1920s, when it was incorporated into the City of Glasgow. The consequences of the change in local government were mainly related to education and community services such as roads, water, sewerage and housing.
The village being expanded to accommodate people relocated during the Glasgow slum clearances in the 1950s and 1960s. The village became a low socio-economic suburb on the main Glasgow-Kilmarnock road and rail networks. However, there has been a move towards improving the suburb with the building of The Glasgow Museums Resource Centre, which houses the Nitshill Open Museum. This is a new purpose-built museum storage facility and visitor centre.
The poet and folk singer Jock Purdon was born and grew up in Nitshill.
The complete, up-to-date and editable article about Nitshill can be found at Wikipedia: Nitshill