Wikipedia Reference Information
Cardonald is an outlying suburb of the Scottish city of Glasgow. Formerly a village in its own right, it lies to the southwest of the city and is bounded to the south by the White Cart Water. The area was part of Renfrewshire until 1926 when the villages of Cardonald, Halfway and Crookston and their surrounding farmland were annexed to Glasgow.
In the 15th century the lands of Cardonald were the property of Johannes Norwald or Normanville, Dominus of Cardownalde. His granddaughter and heiress, Marion Stewart (daughter of Isabella Norwald of Cardonald and Sir William Stewart of Castlemilk), married Allan Stewart, establishing the line of Stewarts of Cardonald. The Cardonald Stewarts were a junior branch of the House of Stewart. Allan Stewart of Cardonald, the first Stewart of Cardonald, was the younger son of John Stewart, 1st Earl of Lennox, Lord Darnley (d. 1495). The Cardonald Stewarts had their seat at the Place of Cardonald, built in 1565. It was demolished and replaced by a farmhouse - Cardonald Place Farm - in 1848.
The line of the Stewarts of Cardonald ended with Allan's great-grandson, James Stewart of Cardonald (1512-1584). He had served as a captain in the Scottish Guards of the Kings of France, and is buried in Paisley Abbey. As he had no issue, the lands of Cardonald passed to his sister's son, Walter Stewart, 1st Lord Blantyre. His family resided at the Place of Cardonald for generations, and retained lands in Cardonald until the 20th century.
In the 1930s, the Corporation of Glasgow bought the Cardonald Estates and built cottage flats and other housing, including the UK's earliest high-rise flats. Cardonald College was opened in 1972 and has been recently expanded.
The district is servied by Cardonald railway station on the Ayrshire Coast Line and by numerous bus routes. There is also easy access to the M8 motorway via Junction 25.
The complete, up-to-date and editable article about Cardonald can be found at Wikipedia: Cardonald